- 1 How to restore an old chair: the advice of experienced furniture makers and a kaleidoscope of ideas
- 1.1 Restoration of the chair with your hands step by step
- 1.2 Creative solutions for exclusive design
- 1.3 Video master-class: we update old furniture
- 1.4 Photo of chairs before and after the transformation
How to restore an old chair: the advice of experienced furniture makers and a kaleidoscope of ideas
Time passes, and even good things wear out, lose their former gloss and just break. But do not rush to send a worn stool to the dump, it can still become a stylish and functional piece of furniture. Restoration of the chair takes a lot of time and effort, but the result will surpass all expectations.
Restoration of the chair with your hands step by step
Before deciding how to restore the old chair with your own hands, you need to take care of its stability. When the furniture is used for a long time, the furniture is loosened: the wood dries up, and the bonded stud joints cease to function.
- First, dismantle the junction. Be careful not to damage it. The spike is swung and simultaneously tapped with a hammer on the knot.
- The place of the groove is cleaned of old glue and dust. It is convenient to make a chisel or knife.
- Then the thorn and the nest are smoothly and thinly smeared with glue with a viscosity of 200.
- After the node is collected and clamped in clamps. The product must be in the clamping device for at least three hours. The dispersion residues are removed with a damp cloth.
Important! If a bolted connection is required in the repair, place metal or plastic washers under the nuts and tighten the nuts.
- If the wooden elements do not fit the eyes, build up the missing volume with a thin piece of wood. Use casein or glue. The sticking is left in the pressed state for 8-10 hours in a warm room. Professional masters use a belt coupler, which allows you to achieve the required force when gluing.
- If the spike breaks, replace the defective part with a new one. The knife is treated with a hacksaw and the nest is cut out by a chisel to a depth of 50 mm. After sawing the insert the right size and hammer it with a hammer.
Council. Use the PVA dispersion, it is non-toxic and not prone to breakage. Epoxy adhesive "Master" or "EAF" is also suitable.
Removing the old coating
To get rid of the old coating, use sandpaper. It is not necessary to remove absolutely the entire top, it is important to create a smooth and even surface. Restoration of chairs with their own hands will not seem too exhausting if you use a grinder.
Council. You can remove the varnish with technical acetone. They moisten the napkin and wipe the product well. This leaves the natural color of the tree.
Finishing: painting and varnishing
Since the tree absorbs the fluid well enough, the surface must be primed before finishing, this will reduce the consumption of the material. A colorless primer is suitable if the wood is only coated with varnish. In other cases, choose a white primer. Chairs of white or black color look great with contrasting upholstery.
Important! Before work, wear a respirator and gloves.
- Apply 1-2 coats of primer. When the chair dries, walk on it with a fine-grained sandpaper.
- Now use the wax balm, it will give the surface a special shine. Then polish everything with a brush.
- Cover the stool with paint twice. The second layer is applied to a dry surface.
- A thin layer along the fibers of the tree, apply a layer of varnish.
Council. Use water-based paint, it is easily applied and dries quickly. You will also need a stencil if you want to decorate the chair with an original pattern.
Dismantling and pulling the seat
You will need: a furniture stapler, staples, a screwdriver with nozzles, foam rubber 5 cm thick (or two pieces 2-3 cm thick), a dense fabric for the substrate and upholstery fabric for the top. Filler for seats can serve as a sintepon, batting, foam rubber.
- First, remove the seat and upholstery. Do not throw a solid wooden base.
- Turn over the chair and remove all the fasteners that hold the seat. Remove the factory braces.
- Pull out the frame with the spring. Release it from the rest of the filler.
- By the size of the seat, cut out a rectangle made of dense fabric, cut out the upholstery with a margin. The allowance should be 6-8 cm.
- Install the substrate on a spring of dense fabric. Using a stapler, attach the fabric to the frame.
- Top the filler layer. Optimal thickness for the seat - 4-5 cm.
- Then set the upholstery material, it is most convenient to do this with the assistant. The upholstery can be made of special textile material, as well as linen and leather.
Creative solutions for exclusive design
- First, stain the stool with two different colors, for example, turquoise (1st layer) and white (2nd layer). Then gently treat the surface of the back and legs with a fine-grained sandpaper, so that the effect of "rubbing" appears. The color of the upholstery material should be in harmony with the color of the painted part.
- To give the chairs a vintage fleece they are painted in cream, blue, pink. After that decorate the entire chair or only part of it with a painting. Then, with gold paint, separate details are made or the varnish-craquelure is applied to the whole surface. Small cracks will create the effect of antiquity.
- If you want to recreate the Empire style, choose a milky satin with a floral print. Frame cover with "golden" paint.
- Make a cover for the chair, it not only protects furniture from contamination, but also changes its design.
- The seat upholstery can be made from 30 multi-colored leather belts. They intertwine with each other on the principle of "baskets" and are fixed from below by screws.
Patchwork - patchwork for a "bright" mood
Often in the closet there are things that have not been worn for a long time. The old shirt and frayed jeans are quite fit as a "raw material" for the upholstery of the country cottages. If the matching shreds are found, you need to pick up shades and cut out the constituent elements.
Tip: Do not use elastic materials. At first choose simple, uncomplicated schemes of drawing.
- First, do all the preparatory work.