- 1 A worktop instead of a window sill is an ideal solution for a small kitchen
- 1.1 Window sill and its variants
- 1.2 Options for the design of the sill-countertop
- 1.3 Table top made of plywood and tiles by own hands
- 1.4 Headsets with a table in the window - photo
A worktop instead of a window sill is an ideal solution for a small kitchen
If the kitchen sill is equipped with a working area or a bar counter, the useful area of the kitchen will increase by at least 0.5 square meters. m. A lot of this or a little - the owners know the small-sized apartments, in which every centimeter on the account. However, if you listen to professionals, the table top in the kitchen on the windowsill can be installed far from always, and in some photos the realization of this idea looks very doubtful. What are the nuances to take into account, so that redevelopment brought only benefit and pleasure?
Window sill and its variants
Replacing the standard window sill with a functional stove combined with a kitchen set, the landlord usually pursues one of two purposes: to make the cramped and small kitchen more spacious and modernize its design. These plans are quite achievable, but provided that the newly emerged space is correctly planned at the design stage, and all the subtleties of reconstruction are met.
Table top, bar, table
After the arrangement of household appliances in the kitchen, even the average size, there is an acute shortage of space for work processes. Therefore, the use of a window sill as the main or additional countertop is the first thing that comes to mind in this case. Judging by the photo, such a tabletop looks organically even in large kitchens, where it can connect two opposite walls of kitchen furniture.
Another favorite way to use the window sill is to make it in the form of a bar counter. A full-strength cantilever rack can not be installed in cramped conditions, but its alternative version in the form of a narrow table can be actively used for spiritual tea drinking, chamber communication with one or two interlocutors, as well as the storage of glasses, glasses and other useful utensils.
And, finally, the third option - the conversion of a window sill into a dining table. This is quite possible if the depth of the window block exceeds 35 cm, and around the window there are no overall items - a refrigerator, a pencil case. Having provided free access, it is easy to place 2-3 chairs near the window and transfer the dining area for 2-3 households.
Alternatively, the table can be made foldable or transformable. In the unfolded state, it forms a single plane with the window sill, and when more space is required in the kitchen, the table is easily removed. This solution is optimal for extremely small rooms, however, the convenience of transformer tables largely depends on the quality of the manufacturing of the fixing elements.
The worktop instead of the window sill is for and against
In the photo, these solutions seem simple and accessible in performance: it is enough to increase the depth of the window sill, and a convenient place for slicing food or eating is ready. Whether this is so, one can understand, having studied the pros and cons of such a reorganization. Its unconditional advantage is the improvement of ergonomics and efficiency of the kitchen, as a large area appears in the use of the family.
Other advantages are obvious:
- saving on artificial lighting - natural light, falling on the prikonnuyu zone almost all day, allows you not to include electric lamps;
- the possibility of installing additional boxes, storage cabinets and even a washing or dishwasher;
- a clear demarcation of zones, due to which the small room becomes more orderly;
- in the presence of a scenic view from the window, the culinary expert can watch him in parallel with the preparation of food, distracting himself from routine occupations;
- improving the design of the kitchen - both in the photo and in reality, angular and U-shaped layouts look much more attractive than single-line ones, traditionally used in small areas.
This idea has also pitfalls:
- violation of convection near the window - a fully or partially enclosed radiator is not able to create an effective thermal curtain, and as a result, the window panes start to mist over badly at the slightest cooling;
- the instability of the window structure - the replacement of a narrow tabletop with a wide one leads to the fact that, due to the cyclic loading on the loose edge, the slopes crack and the window frames are deformed;
- increased contamination - the use of a window sill as a work surface or a dining area inevitably leads to the appearance of colored and greasy spots, from which the appearance of plasterboard and plastered slopes suffers.
Also it is necessary to take into account that PVC, from which sills are usually made, does not withstand high temperatures, therefore it is not recommended to put hot utensils on them as usual countertops.
Options for the design of the sill-countertop
Given the shortcomings, the idea to combine a window sill with a furniture set can be attributed to a successful one with some reservations: for its successful implementation, you need to correctly select the material of the built-in countertop and competently combine it with the base. Certain features exist in operation - if you stick to them, the design will last a long time and will look like the photo from the cover.
The main requirements for the table top material are moisture and heat resistance. It is also desirable that it is easily cleaned (it is necessary to pay attention to porosity), was light and resistant to the effects of detergents. Thus, for the manufacture of a countertop under the window, it is allowed to use:
- laminated wood boards HDF and MDF - their high enough strength and moisture resistance are combined with ease of processing and installation, while there is a wide enough color palette that allows you to choose the right shade and pattern;
- acrylic stone of Corian - its main advantages are presentability, low weight and lack of micropores; You can order a table top of any shape and size, the seams between several parts are ground to invisibility;
- moisture-proof plywood with a thickness of 15 mm - to extend the life of it, it must be covered with a protective agent and varnish, also it is necessary to cover the ends with a furniture edge, set on the glue; Finished in this way the table top looks good and is inexpensive;
- natural granite, onyx or marble - the most durable materials, perfectly carrying the operating conditions in the kitchen; they are the most expensive and heavy, so their installation implies a significant increase in the number of fasteners;
- Natural wood - another version of the top-table top that requires constant care and regular processing with antiseptics, it fits perfectly into the classic or eco-style and has good mechanical properties.
If you look at photos of modern kitchens, you can see the original combined countertops from different types of material: stone and glass, stone and wood, chipboard and plastic. This manufacturing technology allows you to build in the table lighting, various decorative elements, thereby giving it a unique appearance.
Fineness of installation
To bypass the technical problems associated with convection, it's easy: to do this, cut one or two holes in the countertop, then close them with ventilation grilles (better metal ones). If it is planned to put nightstands opposite the radiator in front of the heating radiators, they also need to provide a ventilated facade in the form of a through grating.
The wider the countertop, the more support points it should have. Additional supports can serve as furniture legs 80-90 cm in length, but if there is a choice, it is better to stay on chrome tubes with a diameter of about 25 mm, attached to the table top and to the floor. This equipment is not much more expensive, but it provides proper rigidity of the structure.
On the base, the countertop, like an ordinary window sill, sits down with the help of a mounting foam. A large contact area allows you to get a reliable connection, and under the window sill there will be no cracks through which the wind blows into the apartment. Its joint with the frame must necessarily be treated with sealant, so that the moisture formed in the off-season does not get inside.
Separately, it is necessary to mention the level of installation of the sill-counter. Often, the window in the kitchen is located 70-100 cm from the floor. The standard height of the tabletop is 85 cm, so you need to think about how to join two different levels. Usually the window sill is lower, and its lifting is carried out in one of three ways:
- replacing the existing window with a smaller window block and then building up the base;
- by placing bars of the appropriate size on the mounting surface (emptiness formed under the table top can be used for mounting drawers);
- masking of joints with decorative corners.
The photo shows that not all homeowners are puzzled by this problem and leave the main and additional countertops on different levels.
Care and maintenance
The most simple in the care of a table top made of acrylic stone - on the photo, by the way, it can not be distinguished from its natural. Not a porous surface does not absorb liquid, impermeable to microorganisms and does not contribute to the appearance of spots, it is washed with ordinary (not abrasive) agents. To extend the life of table tops the following recommendations will help:
- Cut the products only on the cutting board;
- protect from falling heavy objects on its surface;
- hot dishes should be placed on special supports;
- Use a sponge with a soft coating to wipe.
The same advice is valid for window sills made of natural stone, but there are differences specifically for each type:
- Spilled liquid from the granite countertop should not be wiped, but soaked, and do it as soon as possible - especially it is "afraid" of wine (acid) and oil stains; to reduce their absorption, the surface of the material should be impregnated (impregnated) with water and oil with repellent agents every 2-3 years;
- for countertops made of marble and onyx, it is necessary to choose chemical agents that are safe for natural stone (chlorine cleaners, such as Domestos, are categorically contraindicated); spilled juice, sauce, wine, they harm them, correctable only by means of re-polishing, so they should be eliminated immediately.
Surfaces from MDF and chipboard are less whimsical, but they should not also be rubbed with abrasive substances, for example soda. But they are not so afraid of acid, you can maintain the purity with the help of ordinary or apple cider vinegar, diluted with water.
As for the repair, it is possible to get rid of small scratches yourself, carefully sanding and sanding the material. Point damage can be sealed with a suitable type of glue, mixed with sawdust or powdered plastic. More serious defects should be eliminated with the help of specialists having professional equipment and experience (it is worth checking it out after studying the photo in the portfolio).
Table top made of plywood and tiles by own hands
It is quite logical to develop the idea of combining the table top with a window sill to its independent production from almost always available materials - waterproof plywood and ceramic tiles. You can recycle the tiles left over after repair, or you can choose a more wear-resistant porcelain stoneware. The number of tiles is determined based on the dimensions of the future countertop.
Plywood will need two sheets, which will be fastened in two layers. Before they are opened, it is necessary to remove the exact dimensions from the window sill and calculate the total depth of the table top so that it does not exceed 70 cm, otherwise it will be difficult to reach the window opening. After the measurements are made, the work is divided into several stages:
- Cutting and preparation of plywood parts: the elements of the tabletop are cut with an electric jigsaw on the marked lines, and then covered with impregnation and waterproofing composition.
- Leveling of the base: at the time of attachment, the base surface must be leveled; On the side of the kitchen window, support bars are installed on it, and perforated metal connectors along the edges.
- Installation of the first plywood board: the plywood is securely fixed with screws to bars and to metal connectors.
- Installation of the second sheet: the first plate is zigzag-shaped with wood glue, then the second layer of plywood is laid and tightly pressed, which is recommended to be pulled to the first screws.
- Processing joints: the gaps between the table top, the window and the slopes are sealed with silicone sealant or liquid waterproofing. Also it is necessary to process free edges, including in places of sawing.
- Finishing of the front edge of the table-top: the edge of the shield should be immediately faced with overhead metal, and preferably oak edge, having a height of 8-10 mm above the plywood base - so the glued tile will lie flush with it.
The finished base remains to be treated with a latex primer, and for the gluing of ceramic ware - finished mastic. Further cladding is done by standard technology.
Headsets with a table in the window - photo
If to sum up, the kitchen table built into the window sill is not only fashionable, but also practical. With its help, the useful area of the room increases, which is especially important in its small dimensions. But before the installation it is important to think in advance of the solutions to the technical problems that arise due to changes in the size and functions of the sill:
- Ensure the creation of a thermal curtain in the window panes - this is done by cutting out convection holes in the countertop.
- Create additional support points for a wide sill-countertop - in the form of wooden or metal legs and a reliable adhesive joint.
- Select the appropriate material for the material, not only for the table, but also for the slopes - they can be replaced with plastic, tile or painted with moisture-resistant paint.
This is by no means the only way to get around problems - in the selection of the photo below, other possible solutions are shown. The most successful of them are developed and implemented by professional designers and contractors - their participation in the process makes it possible to get a predictably predictable result.
Variants of dining area organization:
Arrangement of working space:
Solutions for small kitchens: